|

Board index Freshwater Shrimp and Invertebrate Discussion Macrobrachium Shrimp

Welcome Anonymous !

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:33 pm

UK Shrimp

Macrobrachium Hendersoni?

Discussion of macrobrachium, or long arm, shrimp.

Moderator: Moderators

Macrobrachium Hendersoni?

Postby marlindude » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:46 am

Hi All, HINTS & TIPS required urgently!

Talking about hi-strung stock and spending money. I, er, um bought a little impulse buy yesterday afternoon while buying cat food (honest) at my local Pets at Home I did my usual browse of their dying fish in the tanks and stumbled across 4 of these little fellows and thought I might 'rescue' them. Alledgedly 'Borneo' Red Claw Shrimp?

Shots of the Male.
566 565

One definetly dominant male and 3 female (I think) one is def. berried, but all 3 females have relatively reddish claws and look in decent health.

Speaking to their 'Aquatics' Manager he had brought them in from his supplier as a customer had asked if they could get some 'Tangerine' Orange shrimp??? :? and apparently they can only be sourced from Florida??? so in his infinite wisdom Mr Manager had brought in 4 of the RCS as an alternative to offer the customer (he didn't want them!). :roll:

His loss my gain. :D Have put them in a tank with my Espe's Rasbora (they are quick enough to get out of RCS range). I am not going to put RCS in with any of my other shrimp as I hear they are quite predatory with dwarf shrimp shrimplets and I believe their own shrimplets. If I have any success with breeding I have another two tanks to separate them out so we don't get males sharing tanks.

As this was an impulse buy I didn't know very much about these shrimp so any quick hints and tips would be appreciated. I did see one UK Shrimp member had listed a Species Profile about them which was a great help to start with. Any more info would be appreciated.

I currently have 1 tank with CRS, Cherries, Snow White (Golden Bee), Indian Dwarf Shrimp (Rainbow), 1 tank with Bee, 1 tank with Espe's Rasbora (& now Red Claw Shrimp) and 2 tanks getting set up for Red Claw overspill if successful and CRS selective breeding.

I hate these little addictive shrimp tendencies I have now!!! :lol:

Cheers all.
Last edited by marlindude on Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marlindude
marlindude
Shrimp Friend

Re: Borneo Red Claw Shrimp, help!

Postby Ade » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:37 am

Most likely a member of the macrobrachium hendersoni group (which includes assamense), those ones are pretty young, expect them to grow quite a lot more, including those cute little claws..

Oh, and RCS is the abbreviation used usually for red cherry shrimp, so please do take more care when abbreviating names.

Cheers

Ade
Ade
TechyType

Postby marlindude » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:10 pm

RCS abrev. duly noted!! :banghead:

What sort of size do you think they will grow to?

Cheers
marlindude
marlindude
Shrimp Friend

Postby Ade » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:42 pm

Not including claws, you can expect males to grow to around 8cms, females smaller at around 6cm or so.

It's not all that bad, the hendersoni members are some of the best macros to start with, I myself LOVE them. They have character for one thing, something you don't really notice in dwarf shrimp. They can be bred, APJ on here managed it, but I believe you need large heavily planted tanks. Better still isolating the female just prior to hatching, setting up some form of 'trap' so the young can get out but she can't.

Macros have a bad rep, one that I feel is quite unfair, all because they can and sometimes do take small fish and shrimp... CRS will eat their own young as well, but you don't see them getting the bad rep that macros get. It's the same story with crayfish, but anybody who has ever properly kept crays will tell you, they are fantastic pets, although not ones you want to dangle your finger in front of for obvious reasons. lol

One word of caution, make them unhappy and if they can they WILL take a walk. After moving our heater was stuck on, temps soared, found one of our macros sat under a chair.... One of our dogs went nuts at it. lol

Ade
Ade
TechyType

Postby Shred » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:58 pm

Ade wrote:CRS will eat their own young as well, but you don't see them getting the bad rep that macros get.

Sorry, bit off topic but I never knew that! Is that the case for all dwarf shrimp?
Shred
Cherry Shrimp

Postby Ade » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:32 pm

A lot of them yes, but mainly it's been observed in bee species and also cf babaulti species, but is VERY easily avoided just by making sure they get enough protein in their diet. Often the case for many species, if they don't get what they need from what their keeper gives them, they look elsewhere.

I have successfully kept predatory species in situations that would be a big no many a time, just by ensuring they have a varied and good diet. For example my crayfish, a species known to happily take fish, are living with Endler's livebearers, a very small fish species. There are NOT plants in their tank, crays rip them to pieces in short order. They eat the baby fish, but they leave the adults alone as they get plenty from what we feed them.

However it's a thin line to tread, and can tip easily into disaster, so keeping predatory species with pray isn't a good idea for many. But a good analogy, a lot of public aquaria keep sharks in tanks with fish they would eat in the wild, and get away with it because the sharks are kept well fed and so don't need to eat their tank mates. Folks who know me though know that I often to thing strangely, and get away with it. ;)

At the moment for example I have a high light tank, with powerful filtration and a 400gph flow pump, no algae and I barely dose nutrients, just a bit of easy carbo (10mls a day) along with substrate ferts. No CO2 on there either... Works for me though.

Ade
Ade
TechyType

Postby marlindude » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:00 am

Further update on Red Claw Macro's. Two females, two males. Time to give No. 2 male his own territory. It's quite amazing the difference in claw colour between the two males. The dominant male has striking red claws whereas the No.2 male's claws are red but very subdued colour and he definetly backs off when the No.1 has a walk. The berried female is really aggressive to any of them if they get too close. Starting to find these guys very time consuming, only because you cant stop watching them! 8)

Cheers
marlindude
marlindude
Shrimp Friend

Postby marlindude » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:22 pm

Hi all,

Happy to say that all four Macrobrachium are doing fine. Moved them into a tank on my desk at work and they are doing OK, not killed each other yet as there are plenty of hiding places, Alpha Male is getting quite big now and quite a striking shrimp. I was lucky enough to be in the office last week when he decided to literally "jump out of his skin" and I just managed to get a quick photo prior to him forcing himself out. It took him almost a minute to get his legs down one by one before he gingerly headed back into cover. Quite a nice shot.

Just before

A couple of days before

Thought it would be nice to share!

Cheers
marlindude
marlindude
Shrimp Friend

Re: Macrobrachium Hendersoni?

Postby marlindude » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:42 pm

Well all, sorry to say that I have had to move these guys on to pastures new. I needed the tank back for Dwarf Shrimp overspill from other tanks. I would say that I have enjoyed the Macro antics and they are impressive shrimp but from a personal stance I have learned my lesson on impulse buys and would honestly say that no matter how great these shrimp are, to get the best from them you really need to be able to dedicate a big enough single species tank to accomodate a small number of these guys . . . . and yes Ade your initial early words of what I was getting myself in to and warnings were correct and still ringing in my ears!! :lol:

As you said, great shrimp but I would say only for the dedicated.

P.S. When I was preparing the tank after they had gone I found two Macro shrimplets which I have rescued and are currently in a makeshift home (tupperware box) with an air driven sponge filter and heater. Once they are a little bigger I will also move them on.

Cheers all.
marlindude
marlindude
Shrimp Friend

Return to Macrobrachium Shrimp